Entering Kindergarten 2020-21?
- Open to students who will be five years old by September 1.
- Geographical boundaries determine the attendance area for each school in Lake Oswego. Search for your resident school by entering your address in our SchoolSearch database.
- Kindergarten Information Nights (Kindergarten Counts): Come learn about kindergarten and meet your school's staff. Each elementary school will hold an incoming kindergarten information night for parents on January 22, 2020 from 6 - 7 pm.
- Online Kindergarten registration for the 2020-21 school year will be available January 22, 2020. Please direct any enrollment inquiries to your resident school.
- Kindergarten Transition Program (7/27-8/6 9am-12pm) is available through the Lake Oswego Community School. View the flyer for more information. Registration opens March 1, 2020.
- Kindergarten Assessments: August 31-September 2, 2020. (Your child’s school will contact you in August with a date and time for your child’s Kindergarten
- Kindergarten first day of school: Thursday, September 3, 2020. (Please note: Thursdays are early release at 2:00pm)
We are excited to welcome your student to the Lake Oswego School District for the 2020-21 school year! If you have any questions regarding the first day of school, would like to confirm whether your paperwork has been received, or the August 31-September 2, 2020 assessment schedule, please contact your resident school directly.
Online Registration and Enrollment Guidelines
Register for kindergarten at the District's online registration portal. Please direct any enrollment inquiries to your resident school.
- Students must be five years old by September 1 to enroll in kindergarten.
- Parents of children with a fifth birthday on or between September 2 and September 15 may request consideration for early admission. Please contact Lisa Oliva at the District office: 503-534-2120 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Lake Oswego elementary schools offer a full-day kindergarten program to all students.
Online registration SHOULD be used if:
- You are registering a new student who has never attended an LOSD school or program at any time in grade K-12.
- You live within LOSD boundaries.
- You are registering your student for one of the District's six schools.
Online registration should NOT be used if:
- Returning Student: your student withdrew from an LOSD school in the past, is not currently enrolled in LOSD, and is now returning to an LOSD school. Use the paper registration form.
- Early Admission: you wish to enroll your student into a grade level that is above the student’s age. Visit our Kindergarten Early Admission page for information about this grade level.
Kindergarten Enrollment Status by School: 2019-20
In the event that the number of kindergarten registrants exceeds the number of spaces available at each resident school, new registrants will be assigned to another district elementary school. Current status:
- Westridge - Accepting kindergarten students.
- Lake Grove - Accepting kindergarten students.
- Hallinan - At capacity. New registrations will be overflowed to another school in the district. ***Please register at Hallinan*** Notification of school placement will occur as soon as possible.
- River Grove - At capacity. New registrations will be overflowed to another school in the district. ***Please register at River Grove*** Notification of school placement will occur as soon as possible.
- Oak Creek - Accepting kindergarten students.
- Forest Hills - Accepting kindergarten students.
Please contact your resident school for all enrollment inquiries.
- On May 1st, any school that has more age-eligible registered kindergarten students than capacity will conduct a lottery.
- Lottery Deadline: May 1, 2020.
- Lottery Tier 1: Applicants with age-eligible siblings currently attending the same resident school will be given priority and will not go into the lottery but MUST register by the May 1 deadline.
- Lottery Tier 2: Age-eligible registrations received by May 1, 2020.
- Lottery Tier 3: All registrations (including sibling and early admission) received after May 1, 2020 are subject to availability.
- Lottery Date: May 6, 2020.
- Lottery Notification Date: May 8, 2020.
- All enrollments not selected in the lottery or received after the May 1 cut off, whose school is at capacity, would then be automatically overflowed to other schools in the district.
- Overflow schools won't be finalized until summer and we will notify families as soon as school assignments are determined.
- Most families are enrolled and attend at their resident school and are not included in the lottery process.
- Bus transportation will be provided for overflow students.
- Early-admission candidates must be assessed and pass the approval process. Approved early-admission students will be placed at the end of the applicant list for placement in their resident school.
- Any students who are overflowed for kindergarten will return to their home school for 1st grade.