Entering Kindergarten 2020-21?
- Open to students who will be five years old by September 1.
- Geographical boundaries determine the attendance area for each school in Lake Oswego. Search for your resident school by entering your address in our SchoolSearch database.
- Online Kindergarten registration for the 2020-21 school year opened January 22, 2020. Please direct any enrollment inquiries to your resident school.
- On May 1st, any school that has more age-eligible registered kindergarten students than capacity will conduct a lottery. The Lottery Deadline is May 1, 2020. For more information, see "Lottery" below.
- Kindergarten Information Nights (Kindergarten Counts) was on January 22, 2020. Each elementary school held an incoming kindergarten information night for parents to learn about kindergarten and meet the school's staff.
- Kindergarten Transition Program (7/27-8/6 9am-12pm) is available through the Lake Oswego Community School. View the flyer for more information. Registration opens March 1, 2020.
- Kindergarten Assessments: August 31-September 2, 2020. (Your child’s school will contact you in August with a date and time for your child’s Kindergarten
- Kindergarten first day of school: Thursday, September 3, 2020. (Please note: Thursdays are early release at 2:00pm)
We are excited to welcome your student to the Lake Oswego School District for the 2020-21 school year! If you have any questions regarding the first day of school, would like to confirm whether your paperwork has been received, or the August 31-September 2, 2020 assessment schedule, please contact your resident school directly.
Online Registration and Enrollment Guidelines
Register for kindergarten at the District's Registration & Verification webpage. Please direct any enrollment inquiries to your resident school.
- Students must be five years old by September 1 to enroll in kindergarten.
- Parents of children with a fifth birthday on or between September 2 and September 15 may request consideration for early admission. Visit our Kindergarten Early Admission page for more information.
- Lake Oswego elementary schools offer a full-day kindergarten program to all students.
Online registration SHOULD be used if:
- You are registering a new student who has never attended an LOSD school or program at any time in grade K-12.
- You live within LOSD boundaries.
- You are registering your student for one of the District's six schools.
Online registration should NOT be used if:
- Returning Student: your student withdrew from an LOSD school in the past, is not currently enrolled in LOSD, and is now returning to an LOSD school. Use the paper registration form.
- Early Admission: you wish to enroll your student into a grade level that is above the student’s age. Visit our Kindergarten Early Admission page for information about this grade level.
Kindergarten Enrollment Status by School: 2019-20
In the event that the number of kindergarten registrants exceeds the number of spaces available at each resident school, new registrants will be assigned to another district elementary school. Current status:
- Westridge - Accepting kindergarten students.
- Lake Grove - Accepting kindergarten students.
- Hallinan - At capacity. New registrations will be overflowed to another school in the district. ***Please register at Hallinan*** Notification of school placement will occur as soon as possible.
- River Grove - At capacity. New registrations will be overflowed to another school in the district. ***Please register at River Grove*** Notification of school placement will occur as soon as possible.
- Oak Creek - Accepting kindergarten students.
- Forest Hills - Accepting kindergarten students.
Please contact your resident school for all enrollment inquiries.
- On May 1st, any school that has more age-eligible registered kindergarten students than capacity will conduct a lottery.
- Lottery Deadline: May 1, 2020.
- Lottery Tier 1: Applicants with age-eligible siblings currently attending the same resident school will be given priority and will not go into the lottery but MUST register by the May 1 deadline.
- Lottery Tier 2: Age-eligible registrations received by May 1, 2020.
- Lottery Tier 3: All registrations (including sibling and early admission) received after May 1, 2020 are subject to availability.
- Lottery Date: May 6, 2020.
- Lottery Notification Date: May 8, 2020.
- All enrollments not selected in the lottery or received after the May 1 cut off, whose school is at capacity, would then be automatically overflowed to other schools in the district.
- Overflow schools won't be finalized until summer and we will notify families as soon as school assignments are determined.
- Most families are enrolled and attend at their resident school and are not included in the lottery process.
- Bus transportation will be provided for overflow students.
- Early-admission candidates must be assessed and pass the approval process. Approved early-admission students will be placed at the end of the applicant list for placement in their resident school.
- Any students who are overflowed for kindergarten will return to their home school for 1st grade.